Are you dreaming of leaving the 9 to 5 grind and becoming your own boss? With eBay, that dream can become a reality. Thousands of people have built million dollar businesses selling products online through eBay. You can too with the right strategies, tools and perseverance.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll walk you through everything you need to know to launch and scale a wildly successful eBay business that makes seven figures or more in annual sales.
Why eBay is the #1 Platform for Entrepreneurs
eBay dominates the online auction market, with 182 million active buyers worldwide. This massive built-in audience gives sellers instant access to an engaged community of shoppers looking for all types of new and used products.
Unlike other platforms, eBay has very low barriers to entry. You don’t need a lot of capital or inventory. All you need is one product to get started.
eBay also provides an established marketplace with trust and recognition. Buyers feel confident purchasing on eBay, which instills consumer confidence in sellers.
With the ability to quickly validate product-market fit, eBay minimizes risk for new sellers. You can test out products before fully investing.
The eBay fee structure offers very competitive commission rates compared to other marketplaces. Lower fees mean higher profit margins.
Running an eBay business gives entrepreneurs the freedom and flexibility to work when and where they want. It’s an ideal platform for those looking to take control of their time and income.
Step 1 – Choose a Profitable eBay Niche
The first step to eBay success is selecting a niche. You need to identify high-margin products that also have significant buyer demand.
Here are some of the most lucrative eBay product categories:
Electronics – Used and refurbished electronics are hot sellers, including phones, laptops, tablets, gaming systems and accessories. You can source inventory from wholesalers.
Fashion – Brand name clothing, shoes, handbags, watches and jewelry sell extremely well on eBay. Look for discounted overstock and liquidations.
Collectibles – Rare coins, stamps, trading cards, comic books and other collectibles have avid buyer followings on eBay. This is a specialty market with high prices.
Toys – Both new and used toys do well, including action figures, dolls and building sets like Lego. Vintage and rare toys command the highest prices.
Automotive Parts – Aftermarket car and truck parts and accessories have steady demand. Focus on the most popular makes and models.
Books – Buying bargain books in bulk from liquidators and reselling online is a proven winning strategy. Both new and used books sell.
Industrial Equipment – Restaurants, offices and retailers need catering equipment, furniture, storage solutions and other commercial gear which can often be found at auctions and liquidations.
The best opportunity is to identify a niche you’re personally passionate about, since your natural interest will sustain you. Do your research to ensure there is enough buyer demand to support steady sales and turnover.
Step 2 – Set Up Your eBay Seller Account
Now it’s time to establish your eBay seller account, which allows you to list products, manage orders and handle payments.
Here are the key steps to get set up:
Top 6 Forex EA & Indicator
Based on regulation, award recognition, mainstream credibility, and overwhelmingly positive client feedback, these six products stand out for their sterling reputations:
|1.||Forex EA||Gold Miner Pro FX Scalper EA||$879.99||MT4||Learn More|
|2.||Forex EA||FXCore100 EA [UPDATED]||$7.99||MT4||Learn More|
|3.||Forex Indicator||Golden Deer Holy Grail Indicator||$689.99||MT4||Learn More|
|4.||Windows VPS||Forex VPS||$29.99||MT4||Learn More|
|5.||Forex Course||Forex Trend Trading Course||$999.99||MT4||Learn More|
|6.||Forex Copy Trade||Forex Fund Management||$500||MT4||Learn More|
- Go to www.eBay.com and click Register in the top right corner.
- Select a user ID – This will be your public store name.
- Add your basic contact info and set a password.
- Choose your store type – Individual or Business. Pick business if you plan to list more than 50 items per month.
- Select your billing preferences – PayPal is the easiest for getting started.
- Review and agree to the User Agreement.
- Complete identity verification – eBay will ask for your SSN, DOB, etc to verify your identity. This reduces risk for buyers.
- Add a payment method – You need a valid credit card on file, even if you plan to use PayPal.
- Set your seller preferences – Shipping locations, returns, listings, etc.
- Explore selling tools – eBay provides tools to manage listings, track inventory, communicate with buyers, fulfill orders and more.
It should take about 15-20 minutes to fully establish your account. EBay will walk you through each step of the process to get your seller profile set up.
Step 3 – Set Competitive Prices
One key factor that will determine your eBay success is properly pricing your products. You need to find that sweet spot between charging too little and pricing yourself out of the market.
Here are some best practices for competitive eBay pricing:
- Research sold listings – Search your product category and filter by “Sold” listings to see true selling prices, not just asking prices.
- Consider fees – Remember to account for eBay fees of 10-15% when pricing to build in your profit margin.
- Beat your competitors – Check other seller’s prices for the same item. Aim to price yours a bit lower to stand out.
- Price for margins – Price high enough to achieve a 50-100% profit margin after fees and sourcing costs.
- Use auction-style pricing – For hot commodities, start low to bid up demand and maximize sales price.
- Re-evaluate over time – Adjust your pricing based on sales velocity, competition and profitability.
- Offer Best Offer – Allow buyers to submit lower offers to secure sales while still getting your desired price.
Getting pricing right is a nuanced skill that comes with experience selling on eBay. Take the time to test different price points to see what works best.
Step 4 – Create Compelling Listings
Your eBay listings are key because they determine if shoppers will click on your products. Listings need to build buyer confidence while also clearly showcasing your items.
Follow these tips for creating winning listings:
- Pick specific titles – Include important keywords like brand, item specifics, model number, etc.
- Write robust descriptions – Go in-depth on features, specs, condition, etc. Be transparent about flaws.
- Show all angles – Use your full allotment of pictures to display front, back, labels, other views.
- Note shipping costs – Specify if shipping is free or the exact cost so buyers know what to expect.
- Highlight returns – Mention if you accept returns and who pays for return shipping.
- Link to policies – Direct buyers to pages that outline pricing, shipping, returns, etc.
- Offer fast shipping – Same or next day handling reassures buyers.
- Enable Best Offer – Letting buyers submit lower prices can increase sales.
- Choose smart durations – 3, 5 or 7 days balances urgency without rushing buyers.
- Cross promote listings – Link complementary or related listings in each description.
Creating listings that look polished and professional will deliver more sales. Take time to get the details right.
Step 5 – Source Inventory for Your eBay Store
Sourcing quality inventory at low costs is the key to running a profitable eBay business. There are many ways to find products to sell on eBay beyond just buying retail.
Product Sourcing Tips
- Liquidation sites – Liquidators sell discounted inventory in bulk from bankrupt or overstock businesses.
- Thrift stores – Scout thrift stores and garage sales for underpriced items to resell.
- Wholesalers – Find wholesalers selling new products at wholesale rates. Alibaba is a top source for cheap imports.
- Storage auctions – Bid on the contents of unpaid storage units which often contain valuable merchandise.
- Manufacturer overstocks – Contact companies directly to see if they have new overstock products for sale.
- Importing – Import goods yourself from manufacturers at low costs. Focus on lightweight items to save on shipping.
- Estate sales – Deceased people’s belongings are often sold off cheaply by estates just looking to liquidate.
- Closeout sales – Retailers will sell off discounted products just to clear space and inventory.
Building relationships with liquidators, wholesalers and importers who can provide a steady inventory pipeline is key for scaling your eBay business.
Focus on small, lucrative items that have high roi potential. For example, something that costs $2 to source but sells for $25. High margins are how you maximize revenue on eBay.
Step 6 – Automate and Streamline Operations
Once you begin listing more products and receiving more orders, you need to implement systems and tools to automate fulfilment and streamline operations.
Some must-have programs for eBay sellers include:
- Inventory management – Track all products, sales and inventory levels. Many integrations with eBay exist.
- Order management – Automate order processing with seamless eBay integration.
- Accounting – Manage income, expenses, profitability reporting and taxes.
- Feedback software – Automate feedback requests after sales. This builds your seller rating.
- Repricing tools – Automatically reprice items based on competitor’s prices.
- Photo editing – Quickly edit high volume product photos to look clean and consistent.
Putting processes in place and utilizing automation removes huge administrative burdens and minimizes mistakes as your sales volume grows.
Step 7 – Provide Amazing Customer Service
Even with thousands of transactions, treat each eBay customer like your first and only customer. Going above and beyond on customer service ensures happy repeat buyers.
Here are some proven service tips for eBay sellers:
- Quickly respond to all inquiries
- Fix issues immediately if anything goes wrong
- Offer free returns within a reasonable window to minimize risk for buyers
- Provide fast shipping with tracking info sent proactively
- Include thank you notes and small free gifts with each order
- Follow up after delivery to ensure satisfaction
- Ask for feedback so you can continue improving
- Apologize for delays and take accountability
Also consider offering services like free gift wrapping, expedited shipping and package protection to provide added value.
The goal is to WOW each customer so they rave about you and become lifelong buyers.
Step 8 – Market Your eBay Store
As an entrepreneur, you need to invest in marketing yourself. This drives new customers to your eBay store that may not come organically through search.
Some proven marketing tactics for eBay sellers include:
- Creating a website that highlights your eBay store and products. Optimize your website for organic search traffic.
- Launching Google and Facebook ads that target buyers likely interested in your niche products. Drive traffic directly to your eBay listings.
- Building an email list of past customers that you send promotions and launches to. Offer an incentive like a discount code to sign up.
- Publishing YouTube Product Reviews and Tutorials to establish yourself as an authority. Link to your eBay store.
- Cross promoting on Instagram, TikTok and Pinterest by showcasing products in action. Use influencer marketing by sending free product samples to relevant influencers within your niche and asking them to post organically about the item if they like it.
- Running retargeting ads across channels to previous site visitors and customers. Remind them to come back and purchase more.
As you scale, dedicate a portion of your revenue to paid advertising and influencer partnerships to sustain growth.
Step 9 – Expand Your eBay Empire
Once you perfect your eBay business model, it’s time to expand into new markets and products.
Some ideas for expanding your eBay empire include:
- Listing on other marketplaces – Also list your products on alternative platforms like Amazon, Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist.
- Selling on your own website – Launch your own independent ecommerce store and sell beyond just eBay.
- Wholesaling products – Sell in bulk direct to other eBay sellers or local retailers.
- Building a private label brand – Manufacture and import your own products to sell at higher margins.
- Acquiring competitors – Approach competitors about acquiring their eBay business to instantly gain their customers and systems.
- Starting a YouTube channel – Launch a “side hustle” YouTube channel documenting your reselling business and monetize with AdSense.
- Creating online courses – Produce paid online video courses teaching others your eBay strategies.
- Speaking and consulting – Offer 1-on-1 consulting or speak about your eBay success at conferences and events.
The relationships, credibility and skills you gain selling on eBay can serve as a springboard to launch all types of new entrepreneurial projects beyond just your initial eBay store.
Frequently Asked Questions About Starting an eBay Business
How much money can you make on eBay?
eBay sellers can make anywhere from a few hundred to over a million dollars per year. Top sellers easily clear over $100,000 annually. Your earning potential depends on your profit margins, overhead, efficiency and work ethic. With the right systems, you can scale up indefinitely.
Should I sell as an individual or business on eBay?
If you plan to sell over 50 items a month, register as a business seller. Business accounts offer better discounts on fees, access to more seller tools and the ability to qualify for Top Rated Seller status. You also gain credibility with buyers that you are an established business.
Is it better to sell as an auction or Buy It Now listing?
For unique items or commodities with rabid demand, consider auctions to drive up the final selling price. But most sellers prefer Buy It Now listings for consistency and predictability. Reserving the right to accept Best Offers also allows you to negotiate while maintaining a set price.
What are the fees for selling on eBay?
eBay charges sellers 10% of the total amount of the sale plus a listing fee, which varies based on category and whether the item is auction or Buy It Now. PayPal charges an additional 2.9% + $0.30 for payment processing. So total fees range from 12.9% – 15%.
Should I offer free shipping on eBay?
Offering free shipping gives your listings a competitive edge. You can simply build the shipping cost into your asking price. Only do this if you can still maintain your profit margin after factoring in fees and shipping expenses. Alternatively, you can charge calculated shipping rates.
How quickly do items sell on eBay?
Most items sell within 1-2 weeks, but it depends on the product niche, demand, time of year and your ratings as a seller. Electronics, trendy fashions and rare collectibles tend to sell quickest, especially if priced competitively. Patience is key, as the right buyer will eventually come along.
Starting a million dollar business reselling products on eBay is an attainable goal for entrepreneurs and side hustlers. eBay’s unmatched buyer demand and low barrier to entry make it the perfect marketplace to validate and scale a profitable ecommerce model.
Success comes down mastering eBay seller best practices, choosing a profitable niche, minimizing fees, developing excellent customer service and reinvesting to grow your brand over time.
With consistent hard work and perseverance, anyone can build lasting wealth and freedom through selling on eBay. So why not start listing your first products today? You never know where it may take you on your journey to living the eBay lifestyle.
Top 10 Reputable Forex Brokers
Based on regulation, award recognition, mainstream credibility, and overwhelmingly positive client feedback, these ten brokers stand out for their sterling reputations:
|No||Broker||Regulation||Min. Deposit||Platforms||Account Types||Offer||Open New Account|
|1.||RoboForex||FSC Belize||$10||MT4, MT5, RTrader||Standard, Cent, Zero Spread||Welcome Bonus $30||Open RoboForex Account|
|2.||AvaTrade||ASIC, FSCA||$100||MT4, MT5||Standard, Cent, Zero Spread||Top Forex Broker||Open AvaTrade Account|
|3.||Exness||FCA, CySEC||$1||MT4, MT5||Standard, Cent, Zero Spread||Free VPS||Open Exness Account|
|4.||XM||ASIC, CySEC, FCA||$5||MT4, MT5||Standard, Micro, Zero Spread||20% Deposit Bonus||Open XM Account|
|5.||ICMarkets||Seychelles FSA||$200||MT4, MT5, CTrader||Standard, Zero Spread||Best Paypal Broker||Open ICMarkets Account|
|6.||XBTFX||ASIC, CySEC, FCA||$10||MT4, MT5||Standard, Zero Spread||Best USA Broker||Open XBTFX Account|
|7.||FXTM||FSC Mauritius||$10||MT4, MT5||Standard, Micro, Zero Spread||Welcome Bonus $50||Open FXTM Account|
|8.||FBS||ASIC, CySEC, FCA||$5||MT4, MT5||Standard, Cent, Zero Spread||100% Deposit Bonus||Open FBS Account|
|9.||Binance||DASP||$10||Binance Platforms||N/A||Best Crypto Broker||Open Binance Account|
|10.||TradingView||Unregulated||Free||TradingView||N/A||Best Trading Platform||Open TradingView Account|