MetaTrader 4 (MT4) is one of the most popular trading platforms used by millions of forex traders worldwide. Developed by MetaQuotes Software, MT4 offers an intuitive graphical user interface, advanced charting tools, automated trading options and more.
In this comprehensive guide, we’ll cover everything you need to know to master MetaTrader 4 and turbocharge your forex trading.
An Overview of MetaTrader 4 and Its Key Features
MetaTrader 4 is a downloadable forex trading platform that provides traders with the necessary tools and features to analyze price charts, execute forex orders and develop, backtest and optimize expert advisors for algorithmic trading.
Here are some of the standout features of MT4:
- Advanced charting – MT4 comes packed with advanced Forex charting capabilities. You get access to various chart types (line, candlestick, bar charts), time frames, chart indicators (trendlines, Fibonacci tools), graphic objects and more.
- Market depth information – See detailed Level 2 pricing information and market depth directly on the MT4 platform. This helps assess market liquidity and execution quality.
- 50+ technical indicators – The platform includes an extensive range of built-in indicators like Bollinger Bands, MACD, RSI, Moving Averages and more to analyze price dynamics and identify potential trade setups.
- EA Builder – Develop, backtest and optimize automated EAs for algorithmic trading using the MQL4 programming language. The platform comes with an EA builder, strategy tester and MQL4 IDE.
- One-click trading – Execute market and pending orders directly from the chart window with one-click trading. Submit stop loss and take profit levels easily.
- Supports ECN/STP brokers – Trade on institutional grade ECN/STP brokerages seamlessly through the MT4 bridge. Get tight spreads and true market access.
- Mobile trading apps – Manage your trading accounts, execute trades and analyze charts on the go through iOS and Android mobile apps.
Setting up a MetaTrader 4 Account
To start trading on MT4, you need to set up an account with a forex broker that supports the platform. Here are the key steps:
- Choose an MT4 broker – Select an established, well-regulated forex broker that provides the MT4 platform and meets your requirements in terms of spreads, execution quality, market access and commissions.
- Open a live or demo account – Open a standard live trading account to trade with real money, or open a free demo account with virtual funds to practice risk-free.
- Fund your live account – Deposit your trading capital into your account through a wire transfer or e-wallet platforms like Neteller. There is no minimum deposit amount.
- Download and install MT4 – Get the MT4 client terminal from your broker’s website or directly from MetaQuotes. Install it on your desktop computer or laptop.
- Log into the platform – Access your newly created MT4 account by entering your login details provided by your broker. Customize settings.
Once your MT4 account is opened, funded and ready to use, it’s time to dig into the platform’s functionality.
Navigating the MetaTrader 4 Platform
The MetaTrader 4 platform consists of different sections and elements including the toolbar, Market Watch, Navigator, chart windows and Terminal window.
Here’s an overview of the key sections:
Running along the top edge of the platform, the toolbar provides one-click access to essential trading functions and account management features:
- Trade tab – Open/close positions, place pending orders, modify or delete orders and manage trading accounts.
- Charts tab – Open new chart windows, add indicators, select different time frames and apply chart templates.
- View tab – Customize appearance options for chart windows and the MT4 interface.
- Tools tab – Open MT4 utilities like the MetaEditor, Strategy Tester, and Economic Calendar.
- Window tab – Cascade, tile or arrange active MT4 windows and charts.
- Help tab – Access MT4 user guides, tutorials, tips and platform documentation.
The Market Watch window displays real-time quotes for currency pairs and CFDs. It allows you to sort instruments, hide pairs, attach orders to prices and monitor price changes.
Located to the left, the Navigator shows all your accounts, indicators, Expert Advisors and custom scripts installed on the platform. You can double-click items to apply them to charts.
Found at the bottom, the terminal provides a log of all trading activity, account stats, news updates, alerts and mailbox messages. Use it to monitor past orders, account balance and trade history.
Customizing the MetaTrader 4 Interface
MT4 offers traders a high degree of customizability to optimize the platform’s appearance and layout to suit their preferences:
- Chart color schemes – Modify chart background, grid, candlestick colors and font styles under the Charts tab.
- Detachable charts – Open charts in separate pop-out windows for multi-monitor setups.
- Chart templates – Save customized chart layouts and indicator settings as templates for quick access.
- Workspace layouts – Arrange platform windows, charts, toolbars via the Window tab and save layouts.
- Display options – Show/hide graphical objects, volumes, trade levels and object descriptions on charts.
- Toolbars – Add or remove icon buttons and create custom toolbars.
- Hotkeys – Assign keyboard hotkeys for frequent trading actions like closing positions or placing orders.
- Pop-up dialogs – Enable or disable pop-up confirmations for trade orders according to preference.
- Sounds – Attach sound alerts for different trade activities and platform events.
Experiment with the settings under the View, Charts and Tools tabs to customize the look, layout and functionality of MT4 specifically for your trading needs. The platform is very flexible.
Mastering MetaTrader 4 Charts
The charting module lies at the heart of the MT4 platform. Mastering MT4 chart analysis is critical to gauge price dynamics, identify trade setups, and time entries and exits. Let’s explore some tips:
- Add multiple charts – Open multiple chart windows on the same and different instruments to compare price action.
- Utilize time frames – Scan long term, short term and intraday time frames to assess the overall trend and spot setups.
- Apply indicators – Complement price action with indicators like EMAs, MACD, Bollinger Bands and RSI as required.
- Draw objects – Use trend lines, channels, Fibonacci retracements, and horizontal levels to map support and resistance.
- Active chart trading – Execute orders directly on the chart using one-click trading to streamline order placement.
- Detach charts – Separate chart windows from the platform on additional monitors for maximum clarity.
- Chart templates – Build visual chart templates with specified indicators and settings to repeatedly apply.
- Quick symbol switch – Rapidly flip between currency pair charts using the Market Watch symbol list.
Spend time studying price charts to internalize market dynamics and high probability chart patterns. Combine multiple time frames, indicators and chart objects to refine trade analysis.
Placing Trades in MetaTrader 4
MetaTrader 4 supports a full suite of trade orders including market execution, pending entry stops and limits, take profit and stop loss orders, and OCO brackets:
- Market orders – Execute buy or sell market orders for immediate execution at the current market price.
- Pending orders – Place entry orders like buy/sell stops and buy/sell limits to trigger based on price.
- One-cancels-other – Use OCO orders to place both stop loss and take profit on the same trade. If one level is hit, the other order deletes.
- Stop loss and take profit – Use stop loss to control downside risk and take profit orders to lock in gains from winning trades.
- Trade from charts – Submit orders directly from chart windows via one-click trading for fast execution.
- Modify orders – Amend open orders like adjusting stop loss and take profit levels as the market moves.
- Close positions – Square off open trades instantly or attach profit targets and stop loss levels.
Practice using different order types and managing trades in a demo account before applying in live markets with real capital. Use prudent risk management on all trades.
MetaTrader 4 Expert Advisors and Automated Trading
Expert advisors (EAs) allow you to automate trade strategies, reduce emotions and systematize the trading process through MT4:
- Develop EAs – Write EAs with the MQL4 programming language. Use the Editor and MQL4 IDE.
- Backtest EAs – Optimize parameters and evaluate profitability using the Strategy Tester to backtest EAs historically.
- Run EAs live – Apply automated strategies on live charts to generate buy/sell signals and manage trades automatically.
- Manage EAs – Monitor active EAs directly on running charts along with trades. Modify settings as required.
- Use with caution – Understand an EA’s logic thoroughly before using live. Apply stop loss on all EA-generated trades.
- Integrate signals – Source trade signals from EAs or signal providers into MT4 via copy trading plugins like ZuluTrade.
EAs allow disciplined automation of strategies. But use proper risk controls and evaluate EA performance diligently across different market phases.
Top 6 Forex EA & Indicator
Based on regulation, award recognition, mainstream credibility, and overwhelmingly positive client feedback, these six products stand out for their sterling reputations:
|1.||Forex EA||Gold Miner Pro FX Scalper EA||$879.99||MT4||Learn More|
|2.||Forex EA||FXCore100 EA [UPDATED]||$7.99||MT4||Learn More|
|3.||Forex Indicator||Golden Deer Holy Grail Indicator||$689.99||MT4||Learn More|
|4.||Windows VPS||Forex VPS||$29.99||MT4||Learn More|
|5.||Forex Course||Forex Trend Trading Course||$999.99||MT4||Learn More|
|6.||Forex Copy Trade||Forex Fund Management||$500||MT4||Learn More|
6 Things to Keep in Mind When Using MetaTrader 4
While MT4 offers advanced capabilities, keep these tips in mind:
- Learn the platform thoroughly via tutorials and use demo accounts to build skill. Don’t rush into live trading.
- Be mindful of over-optimizing – curve-fitting strategies to past price data gives a false sense of security. Stay flexible.
- Conduct regular backtests of strategies and EAs to evaluate performance across different markets.
- Use prudent money management on every trade. Calculate appropriate position sizing and limit risk to 2% or less per trade.
- Have backup internet access in case of connectivity issues and power outages to avoid disruptions.
- Monitor overall trading performance. Evaluate metrics like win rate, risk/reward ratio, expectancy and avoid over-trading.
Mastering MetaTrader 4 takes time and consistency. But with the right approach, the platform provides a robust toolkit to maximize trading success over the long-term.
Frequently Asked Questions About MetaTrader 4
What is the minimum deposit for opening a MetaTrader 4 account?
There is no set minimum. Deposit requirements vary between brokers. Some may allow you to open an account with as little as $5-10 while others may require $200 or higher. Check deposit minimums at your chosen broker.
Does MT4 work with Macs or only Windows PCs?
The downloadable MT4 client terminal works seamlessly on Windows laptops and desktops. For Mac users, brokers provide MT4 WebTrader or offer virtualized Windows VPS hosting to access MT4 via the cloud.
Can I trade directly from the MT4 mobile apps?
Yes, MT4 apps for Android and iOS allow you to access your accounts, conduct chart analysis and place live trades on the go conveniently.
Does changing MT4 brokers require setting up a new account?
Yes, your MT4 account is directly linked to your brokerage account. To change brokers, you would need to open a new account at the new broker and fund it.
Can I use custom indicators, EAs and scripts on MT4?
Absolutely. Download free or paid indicators, EAs and scripts created by third-party developers and add them via the Navigator to enhance MT4 functionality.
Is MT4 still used widely despite newer platforms like MT5?
MT4 retains its popularity among retail traders given its familiarity and comprehensive feature-set. Brokers continue supporting it while expanding MT5 offerings. Most traders utilize both platforms.
In summary, MetaTrader 4 provides traders with an intuitive yet highly customizable forex trading platform. It packs advanced charting capabilities, automated trading options via EAs and a full suite of order types to implement diverse trading strategies.
While getting started on MT4 is straightforward, mastering the platform does require an investment of time and effort. Utilize the array of resources available and give yourself enough screen time to gain experience and proficiency. This will allow you to use MT4 effectively to ultimately improve trading performance.
Top 10 Reputable Forex Brokers
Based on regulation, award recognition, mainstream credibility, and overwhelmingly positive client feedback, these ten brokers stand out for their sterling reputations:
|No||Broker||Regulation||Min. Deposit||Platforms||Account Types||Offer||Open New Account|
|1.||RoboForex||FSC Belize||$10||MT4, MT5, RTrader||Standard, Cent, Zero Spread||Welcome Bonus $30||Open RoboForex Account|
|2.||AvaTrade||ASIC, FSCA||$100||MT4, MT5||Standard, Cent, Zero Spread||Top Forex Broker||Open AvaTrade Account|
|3.||Exness||FCA, CySEC||$1||MT4, MT5||Standard, Cent, Zero Spread||Free VPS||Open Exness Account|
|4.||XM||ASIC, CySEC, FCA||$5||MT4, MT5||Standard, Micro, Zero Spread||20% Deposit Bonus||Open XM Account|
|5.||ICMarkets||Seychelles FSA||$200||MT4, MT5, CTrader||Standard, Zero Spread||Best Paypal Broker||Open ICMarkets Account|
|6.||XBTFX||ASIC, CySEC, FCA||$10||MT4, MT5||Standard, Zero Spread||Best USA Broker||Open XBTFX Account|
|7.||FXTM||FSC Mauritius||$10||MT4, MT5||Standard, Micro, Zero Spread||Welcome Bonus $50||Open FXTM Account|
|8.||FBS||ASIC, CySEC, FCA||$5||MT4, MT5||Standard, Cent, Zero Spread||100% Deposit Bonus||Open FBS Account|
|9.||Binance||DASP||$10||Binance Platforms||N/A||Best Crypto Broker||Open Binance Account|
|10.||TradingView||Unregulated||Free||TradingView||N/A||Best Trading Platform||Open TradingView Account|